Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pancakes and Family Worship Time

   
    I love to make pancakes. I also love to eat pancakes, like at least five in one sitting. At least. So I am trying to make them healthier. I am also trying to make them healthier because I am teaching my children, by my actions, that it is perfectly normal and okay to eat, at least, five pancakes in one sitting. 
   
    At first, I did half whole wheat flour, and then I did all whole wheat flour for a while until I went back to all white flour because I felt like I deserved it. And then I felt like I should never eat flour again, but then I remembered that I have no will power at all, so that would be impossible. And then one morning, (when Nick wasn't home, of course. This is not the sort of thing I could just spring on Nick.) I decided to try magic bulletting a 1/4 cup of flax and a 1/4 cup of wheat germ which turned into about 3/4 cup of ground super healthy-for-your-bodyness and substituted it for that amount of flour in my trusty Mark Bittman pancake recipe.
    Fingers crossed, Tyler and I fried them up and Holy Moly, they were delicious! Totally light and fluffy, not dense and tasting like health, as I had imagined. But, here is the kicker: even Nick thought they were amazing. After my test run on the children, I made them the next weekend for the whole fam, and Nick actually really liked them even without chocolate chips!
    I am sort of wondering why everyone doesn't make pancakes like this. I actually thought to myself,"Is this somehow not good for you or maybe even poisonous, because I can't think of another reason why I haven't heard of this before." But I don't think it is poisonous, so you should all try it.



1 comment:

  1. Hahaha Congratulations on making nonpoisonous healthy pancakes that even Nick likes! That is quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete